Thursday, August 19, 2010

10 things from my childhood I wish my children could experience

1. Mr. Rogers after school. I still have a soft spot for zippered sweaters. I'll never forget the wonder I felt when I realized "he knows I'm afraid of falling down the drain!"
2. Ding Dongs in tinfoil. Oh wait! They have these again! It's so much more fun to unwrap a yummy chocolate treat in tinfoil than to rip open plastic.
3. Movie re-runs. Remember when the great movies would come around to the theater again the next summer? I saw most movies this way because my parents couldn't afford to take us to the full price run.
4. Coming home when the street-lights went on. We left the house in the morning and came home in the evening. The middle was filled with running through sprinkelers, riding bikes, and Italian ices from the general store, and most importantly, no adult supervision.
5. Phones with long cords. Bouncy, swirly, strechy, and you always knew where it was because it never left the kitchen wall.
6. Banana bike seats. We could fit three people on those!
7. Roller skates. I hear these might be making a comeback. I put mine on the last day of school and didn't take them off the whole summer.
8. Summers on Grandpa's farm. Whose Grandpa has a farm anymore?
9. Beach day. Once a week we'd go to the beach with friends. I would so do this if we lived anywhere near a beach. We don't, so no beach days for us.
10. Toy catalogues. We used to spend hours pouring over these wishing for things. Now everything is online, which isn't the same as hiding the catalogue under your bathrobe and sneaking it into your room to look over with your sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment